SCIENTIFIC COUNCIL – ABOUT
The Scientific Council is the Foundation’s Advisory body regarding formulation and implementation of policies and activities in line with its vision and mission. The Council based on the Founder’s aspirations and the vision and mission of the “Maria Tsakos” Foundation, developed the MTF’s Strategic Plan and oversees its implementation according to the highest standards.
Members of the Scientific Council are distinguished personalities of high caliber status and reputation in their respective fields. Professor Stamatis Krimigis, Member of the Academy of Athens, Head Emeritus of Space Programs in Johns Hopkins University and former President of the Greek National Council for Research and Technology serves as its Chairman. Other members are:
1. Eminent Metropolitan Bishop of Chios, Psara and Oinousses Mr. Markos Vassilakis,
2. Tom Allan, former Chairman of the I.M.O. Maritime Safety Committee,
3. Georgios Chroussos, Professor of Pediatrics, Athens University Medical School,
4. Kevin Featherstone, Professor and Chair of Eleftherios Venizelos, London School of Economics,
5. Fotis Karamitsos: Deputy Director General of the Maritime Transport Directorate of the European Commission,
6. Konstantinos Katagas, Vice Admiral (rtd.) of the Hellenic Navy and Author,
7. Bjorn Kjerfve: President of the World Maritime University,
8. Patrick O’Ferrall: former Chairman of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping,
9. Vassilios Papageorgiou, Deputy Chairman of Tsakos Shipping and Trading,
10.Robert Somerville, former CEO of the American Bureau of Shipping
11.Konstantinos Synolakis: Professor, former President of the Hellenic Centre for Maritime Research,
12.Christos Zerefos: Member of the Academy of Athens, Professor Emeritus University of Athens.